Monday, May 9, 2011

Tired for Mother's Day


Last Friday after the May races I was feeling extremely delicate.  How old am I going to be before I realise that gin and tonics are not an adequate substitute for food?  It was a fantastic day as always, and beats any day at Flemington hands down.  I am going to gloss over the "incident" of a horse in the Grand Annual leaping a two metre high fence into a crowd of onlookers who were outside the track.  Enough has been said already.  It was a most unfortunate freak accident (not many horses can jump that high).

Friday, then, was a day for ugg boots, lighting the fire and a bit of cooking.  Every time I walk into the pantry I have to pass three of these:
which the hunter and gatherer husband bought home from a duck shoot over Easter.  Time for action, I thought to myself, and so I made some soup.  I often cook the pumpkin for soup in the oven, which is lovely, but due to my weak condition I decided to throw the onion and garlic in the roasting pan as well.   Worked a treat.

There are no specific measurements to this recipe, just use what you have and just cover with the stock.

Preheat the oven to 180c.  Peel, seed and chop the pumpkin.  I used about half of the above.  Place in a  large roasting tin and add a chopped onion (or a couple of leeks would be good too) and about 5 cloves of garlic, not peeled.
Season with s & p and drizzle with olive oil.  Put in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes.  At this point I went outside to do some gardening and forgot about the pumpkin.  It probably had about an hour and 15 minutes and was a little charred on the edges, but it didn't seem to matter.
Put it all in a large saucepan and squeeze the garlic from its skin.  Cover with chicken stock.  Heat gently so the stock is warm.  Whizz with stick blender or in a food processor.  Season with salt and pepper and a little nutmeg and some cream to finish.  I crumbled over some Meredith Dairy goat's cheese and chives from the garden.
Helped the hangover enormously.  We then went out on Friday and Saturday night so by Sunday I was beyond doing much at all.  I do not expect much on Mother's Day and the Little Princess bought me this charming treasure from the Mother's Day stall at school, (which I paid for).  She also wrote a very sweet card which makes it all worthwhile.

Look how well my cauliflowers and spinach are growing... I only put them in the other day
as well as the garlic and rocket..


No comments:

Post a Comment