Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Absolving the sins of the festive season

Happy New Year.  Kilos heavier, we launch into 2011.

There has been lots of this:


a bit of this:


some of this:


 and way too much of this:


which has left us all feeling a bit like this:

(Breugel)


I am looking forward to school going back so some modicum of routine can return to our lives, alcohol free days can be inserted into the week and some exercise pursued for the purpose of good health.  The bulging muffin tops tell a tale.  

Let us start with breakfast.  This is quite obvious, but I MUST STOP EATING TOAST.  I know it should be forbidden but now that we can get our hands on some really good bread at the local deli it is extremely hard to resist.  Especially with the aforementioned raspberry jam or marmalade.  As total deprivation and self torture is really not my thing, I have been trying out Bircher muesli to steer me away from the toast.  I've never been much of a fan of Bircher muesli as it always seems so heavy and gluggy, and not a patch on my homemade normal muesli but I think I've come up with an acceptable version that is really very satisfying.

Bircher Muesli

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup apple juice (I used a nice cloudy one from Tassie)
1/2 a grated apple
1 tblsp natural yoghurt
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup mixed berries (can include blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and a few sultanas)
1 tblsp flaked almonds/sunflower seeds/pepitas

Soak oats and nuts in apple juice and refrigerate overnight.


In the morning grate over the apple, add the yoghurt and berries of choice, lemon juice and a drizzle of honey.



Now all I have to do is get the boxing gloves back on....


No comments:

Post a Comment